Report from Jon Fallaw at Phillip Island Nature Parks:
Hooded Plover Report: It has taken 12 years but the population on Phillip Island has doubled from 22 to 44 between 2001 and 2013
The November count is probably the best indicator of base population numbers being at the start of the breeding season.
Hoodie breeding season to date :
- 7 nests, 17 eggs and 5 chicks so far this season (Last year we had recorded 5 nests and 3 chicks until this time)
- Probably only 2 chicks now at Anchorage Rd Ventnor, and 2 at Elizabeth Cove (volunteers are actively monitoring Anchorage Rd and Red Rocks)
- Have lost nests at Surf Beach and Berrys Beach.
- We currently have nests at Silverleaves (3 eggs) Red Rocks (3 eggs) and Woolshed Bight (3 eggs)
- Check the Hoodie portal for all details at http://portal.myhoodie.com.au/